June was yet another ‘meh’ month for software acquisitions in Canada. Highlights:
- 8 deals announced (9 last month)
- 2 of the deals had a disclosed value (Largest was $ 32.5M).
- 3 of the companies were in Toronto, 2 in Montreal, the rest were distributed
- None of the companies were VC-backed
- 3 of the buyers were Canadian, 3 were from the US, and 1 each for Europe and Asia
- 4 of the buyers were public
- Median time to exit: 15 years (9 years for last months’ deals)
- Shortest time to exit: 4 years
- Longest time to exit: 25 years!
- All of the buyers except one was strategic.
I will be doing a separate post on the IT exits so far this year in Canada. So far, it’s been a pretty underwhelming with some exceptions (Wind Mobile and Bitstrips).
As always, I report on these each month. If you’re interested in seeing the underlying data, I keep it here.