I expected a Summer slow down, but July was pretty darn underwhelming with just 3 software acquisitions in Canada. Highlights:
- 3 deals announced (8 last month)
- 1 of the deals had a disclosed value ($ 4.1M).
- The companies were in Burlington, Montreal and Quebec City
- None of the companies were VC-backed (2nd month in a row for this)
- 1 buyer was Canadian, 1 US, and 1 from Europe
- None of the buyers were public
- Median time to exit: 19 years (15 years for last months’ deals)
- Shortest time to exit: 10 years
- Longest time to exit: 26 years!
- All of the buyers except one was strategic.
I will be doing a separate post on the IT exits so far this year in Canada. So far, it’s been a pretty underwhelming with some exceptions (Wind Mobile and Bitstrips).
As always, I report on these each month. If you’re interested in seeing the underlying data, I keep it here.